Thursday 10 July 2008

A new bloom

Sunday's dry gap between the showers gave me the opportunity to pop out to our wetland to see how the native wildflowers are coping. We are particularly proud of this area of land which is named 'Gweirglodd' in ancient Welsh, meaning 'boggy wet place' or something similar. We call it 'The Moor'.


This year for the first time we have an area of Bog Asphodel (above) an absolutely gorgeous member of the lily family with highly fragrant spikes of yellow starry blooms.

This is the Spotted Marsh Orchid, which blooms in droves from June to July. It starts this lovely dark pink, then fades to almost white, like the one in the background.

And this is Whorled Caraway, which is the county flower of Carmarthenshire.

10 comments:

  1. I love wild flowers but they're getting pretty rare around these parts, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wild flowers need to be preserved, and those are beautiful.We had bee orchids in our last house. The marsh orchid is so pretty, wonderful that your acreage is supporting so many varieties of wild flower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that was interesting - I didn't know I was looking at a whorled caraway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any ragged robin?
    I had never seen any of those before

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love wild flowers - am going to put one up on Purplecoo today asking what it is - very unusual. We have the Whorled Caraway in abundance in Scotland I love its lacey delicate quality.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have masses of wild marshorchids liek yours along the banks of the lanes so splendid. I masquarade under the pretense of preserving our wild plants bty rarely cutting the graa but don't think I fool anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos - guess it's been a good year for bog plants!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You must be proud to have such a selection of those rare flowers. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. More of these pictures please Mags. I love the idea of a wetland (my garden?) and the very special plants that grow there. Your home sounds such a wonderful place and it's great that you are taking such good care of the land. Love the strawberry story by the way - great image of you breaking the jar open to scoff the berry! xx

    ReplyDelete

I am sorry to have to add word verification thing again but I keep getting spammed.