Friday 30 December 2011

Another year gallops on by

It flashed past, 2011 did. Is it old(er) age that makes the years fly past? So what happened?

We started the year with a new puppy and a house full of newspaper, red tops, which brought out the Margot Leadbetter in me. "Why can't we have something suitable like the Telegraph?" I wailed as the puppy squatted over the boobs on page three.

Where's the newspaper gone?

We got new hens, then the sun came out in February and we rejoiced not knowing that would be pretty much it sunshine-wise for the rest of the year.

The lambs were born to an F1 theme (what shall we have this year? Open to suggestions!) flowers bloomed and the oil price shot up so I turned off the heating. (December 2011: It's still off. Because it's broken.)

We went to Devon in April and cuddled lovely friends and donkeys. The garden went nuts with flowers in May.

In June Tardis sat on a clutch of eggs and produced a brood of pretty chicks. The following month saw the arrival of a trampoline, new bicycling skills and and I got the sewing machine out and started to make things.

In August we headed back to Devon (and Dorset again), H9 and R7 went riding (twice), we went to the beach (only twice and on one of those visits it rained) and we dashed down to the Cafe on the Quay in Lawrenny to do the walk/cake thing another twice (or it might have been thrice). I started to bake my way through the River Cottage bread book.

In September I took lots of pictures with my new (old) DSLR and they dug up the road outside school causing mad chaos.

Let them eat dog.

By October the car bills had reached new heights of disaster, I threatened to cook the dog in lieu of meat (we decided to go mostly vegetarian instead) and I ran Cardiff half marathon while my children met the Olympic torch.

It rained in November. We had sickness and head lice. I baked and maked and we oohed and aahed at Bonfire night fireworks.

In December I continued the making and baking theme, discovered I could make a pony out of marzipan and broke all my previous records on how to maintain the required standards at Christmas without parting with too much money.

The year is quietly fizzling out. I'm not one for big New Year parties (I don't think I've ever been to one!) Onwards now to 2012.

7 comments:

  1. I've really enjoyed reading your bog this year.
    Have a happy new year.
    Hope it doesnt rush by as fast.
    Chris
    Australia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your year bears summing up, which is more than ours does - it was grim, on many many fronts. Ah well, poverty makes you creative, if nothing else!

    Let's hope that 2012 is a very positive one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, after a bruising 2011, I'm a tad apprehensive about the 2012! Here's wishing you and yours a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year, Mags. Thanks again for your friendship and support. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always enjoy your Blog, sounds like you had an interesting year, and yes they do fly by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great summary of the year. I rush I'd blogged more then I might be able to remember what I got up to this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy new year to you and yours. I think a year that ends with your making a marzipan pony has to be a good one! Like Chris, my 2011 has been a bit of a bruiser so I am hoping for an easier, gentler and simultaneously exciting 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like a good year to me! Hoping that the next one will be a happy and healthy one for all of you.

    PS How DO you make a pony out of marzipan?!

    ReplyDelete

I am sorry to have to add word verification thing again but I keep getting spammed.