Wednesday 21 March 2012

Blooming March


I've come to the conclusion that March really isn't my garden's 'month'. I took all these photographs to prove to myself that it wasn't all mud and couch grass but I was only slightly cheered. Everything is a bit battered and bitten, perhaps unsurprising really since we're fairly exposed here on the side of the Preselis.


This is a Rosie primrose and would look better if something hadn't been nibbling at its pretty petals.


Primulas always seem a good idea in the dark days of spring but they don't really stand up to the weather here. At least there are many blooms to come and bring a welcome splash of colour under the leaden grey skies we've been having recently.


These cowslips arrived as a tray of baby seedlings from Bovey Belle of the blog Codlins and Cream2 and they haven't really got into their stride yet this year. They're like fireworks, waiting to explode.


Look at all those buds! When these are all flowering it's a riot.


One of R8's many rosemary plants flowering happily in the gravel garden.


Native daffs smiling away in a damp shady corner.


The snowdrops were late this year. They used to be proper February flowers but now they arrive in March with the daffodils. Is this an effect of global warming? No flowers for ages and then they all bloom at once.


My lovely hellebore goes from strength to strength. I need more of these. Lots more.


The viburnum has finally forgive us for hacking it back to a stump and is flowering again.

So has it really cheered me up recording all these blooms? Not really. I haven't shown you a photograph of the rest because it's just not that pretty at the moment. It would look better with proper paths (funds don't allow) and it will look lovely once the annuals and herbaceous perennials come onto the scene.

9 comments:

  1. Your snowdrops look a bit special - they have really long pointed petals - I am wondering if they are a posh variety rather than an ordinary species G. nivalis?

    We decided we needed some paths too - and the gods smiled on us, because over the past month we have dug up some 400 Victorian clay red bricks which we have decided to recycle as paths!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh - Spring time in Wales. Bloomin Lovely! ps. Managed another 'run' this morning - my fourth attempt at week 1! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I agree - bloomin' lovely.

    We've all got corners of the garden which we'd rather not have. My 'bête noir' is the stack of timber that Alan put inside the front gate ('All good stuff') for some never-to-be-done future project, covered in black plastic and now ignores. It's been there nearly 7 years. At least I have paths.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your description of the cowslips being "like fireworks, waiting to explode". What a lovely thought! I'll imagine them coming out to Handel and muttering a little "ta-da" when they fully bloom.

    You know what, I actually prefer slightly nibbled or frayed petals and leaves. Otherwise, they can look too perfect, like nature's airbrushed them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have some beauties there, I know what you mean though about the uplands of Wales..
    I've just started with a couple of hellebores and am thrilled with them and their hardiness, will definitely plant more of those, yours are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blooming march followed by a riot of colour.

    Sorry. That says more about the state of society. My mind makes strange connections.

    I really do like those pictures. Even though we had a blizzard Monday, by Wednesday night most of the snow has gone. Time to look for flowers here. Wild crocus should be up soon (if not already).

    ReplyDelete
  7. how can you say its all mud it is a wonderful display so evocative of a rural English springtime. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your lovely spring flowers look like a good beginning to me! Your hellebore is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those hellebores are glorious, Mags. And today, we've had some proper sunshine. Hurray!

    ReplyDelete

I am sorry to have to add word verification thing again but I keep getting spammed.