Wednesday 14 March 2012

Dysfunctional family skirt

I've finally got around to sewing a skirt I bought the material to make ages ago. I was given the book, Sew Serendipity by Kay Whitt, for my birthday last year and it's full of lovely patterns for skirts, tops, tunics and jackets.


First on my list to make was a knee-length tailored skirt in two fabrics - one main edged with contrasting fabric and lots of top-stitching. I bought a lovely green background design with spots and swirly markings and found a basket-weave print green as the contrast band. I then had the mad whim to include panels of a fabric called Dysfunctional Family by Michael Miller which I had in my stash.

This is the finished skirt (shaky self-portrait taken in the mirror):


It's certainly different! I bought the fabrics to go with many things I already have in my wardrobe; this denim jacket, a cardi which matches the woman's dress colour, and countless T-shirts which co-ordinate with the dots on the main fabric.


The main speech bubble at the bottom says: That's it! I've had enough of your whining! Brian, pull over!! She's spending the rest of the trip in the TRUNK! Which is why I bought it, being married to a Brian and I've heard Are we there yet? over and over again a few times from the back seat of the car (but I'd NEVER put the perpetrators in the boot!) 


This one says: Thanks babe. Mother'll never taste the arsenic. Which just proves Mr Miller has a warped sense of humour, perhaps. It's fun, it's tongue-in-cheek and makes for a bright skirt.

I had to piece the Dysfunctional fabric (I'd only got a half metre) but the pocket hide the join (which is almost a shame because I managed to get it spot on). I also added a lining (the pattern without the pockets made from a bit of spare polycotton and added to the skirt when I sewed the facings at the waist.) All I need now is some slightly warmer weather and a reason to wear it!

11 comments:

  1. I love it! Such a great contrast of dainty green and dysfunctional!!! By the way Mags, it may be ahead in the garden here but it's blooming freezing with it...sigh x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is absolutely AMAZING! I'm almost green and dysfunctional with envy (a) because even from here I can see how beautifully it's made, and (b) because it's so utterly original. You clever woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like it, Mags, good fun. Well done you. I love sewing, but am rubbish at following patterns, being more from the make it up, hope for the best, keep it in the dark school of skill. But I do like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! I keep looking at it and longing for it to be mine!

    Re kids in boots - we did put ours in the boot once to drive a very short safe distance (they had whined and begged and pleaded for this 'treat.')It must have been quite good because the whining, begging and pleading continued and while we never did it again they persuaded a family friend who was a judge, for heaven's sake, to let them ride there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brillians!! If ever I see this skirt out and about, I will know it is you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's just fantastic - love the colours and the mixture of patterns - such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! I love the green and the family and might have to buy the book for the pattern. I gave up making clothes a few years ago in favour of making things for the house as somehow the clothes never fitted as well as the cushion covers (fitted the cushions, not me, I wouldn't fit a cushion cover, not even parts of me).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fab skirt! I have the 'Sew What Skirts' book and haven't made anything yet. I love Boden/White Stuff skirts but lack the funds to buy so I need to make my own. One day I will!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome creativity, Mags.

    You do so many things so very well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a gorgeous skirt and what fun fabric, love it :D

    ReplyDelete

I am sorry to have to add word verification thing again but I keep getting spammed.