Saturday 19 September 2009

In a nutshell...

I haven't blogged for a while because our phone line went up the creek and Talk Talk didn't listen listen. The fault took ten days to fix, resulting in the necessity to get all stampy footed and generally throw toys out of the pram and sulk. To cut a long story short, we've been fixed, placated and compensated.

In a nutshell, this is what happened in the meantime:

A big, yellow shiny thing appeared in the sky. It's still there! Bliss.

We went to the National Botanic Gardens of Wales. It was glorious.

We finally made our haylage (well, the contractors did, we just played in between the rows of grass and enjoyed the lovely smell of drying grass.)

The garden filled with butterflies, mostly freshly hatched tortoiseshells, peacocks and a speckled wood or two.

It was too hot for black dogs.


The first tooth fell out. (R5's first anyway. Technically it's the third she's lost, but the other two were under general anaesthetic.)

The garden produced some lovely Romanesco cauliflower/broccoli (can't decide which it is!). I've never grown it before and it's delicious.


Today we've lost another tooth. I hope the tooth fairy's got plenty of shiny one pound coins!

And we: Went back to school (H7 and R5), back to working three days a week (me); ran 41.7 miles (me again, but not all at once!); picked 3.5lbs of sloes; decanted the rhubarb vodka; tasted the rhubarb vodka (blimey); hoovered books (autumn cleaning); cleaned out the kitchen cupboards (no broadband. I was bored.); moved things around in the kitchen (can't find anything now!); made bread (many times, from Dan Stevens' fabulous River Cottage Bread handbook); lazed about in the sun.

I LOVE September!

9 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I've just done the bit with the computer down and it's amazing how much I missed it/got other things done while it was gone.

    I'm glad that you're enjoying your September- it's one of the best months. I love the photos of the hay field and the butterfly- all of those echoing curves.

    Congratulations on the teeth, going and coming in- R5. It's a memorable time.

    I should be off to hoover my bookshelves too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a positive post. And forty miles - I'm impressed!
    I'm back in Pembrokeshire this weekend - running, writing and sorting; ran from Abereiddy to Porthgain and back; what a fantastic day.

    Glad you're back

    ReplyDelete
  3. And that sounds very very busy indeed to me !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. and a lovely new look! and that tick thing for no time to comment looks worth investigating, unless it encourages people to be idle?
    It reminds me how my boys haven't lost teeth for YEARS (nearly 11 and just 13). Which has saved a few quid. Exmoor gives a fiver a pop, I think. Her boy must NEVER be permitted to discuss this with mine.
    Running, pah. E off ready for GNR as I type.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see you back - you've been missed. I've been sans computer half the time the past fortnight - waiting for it to be fixed - first they denied there WAS a problem with the automatic photo loading. I must admit, I got SO much done these early mornings when I woke and had no computer. Makes you think . . . a little while anyway!

    Let's hope this sunshine lasts till Christmas : ) It's GLORIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see you blogging again. I am seriously envious of the Romanesco cauliflower. Mine are all leaf and no flower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Missed you there Mags, though loved this catch up. It is frightening how much can be done when the computer is down isn't it? I almost wish mine would stop sometimes, but think I would go into panic mode! Oh, not to mention my business would also die!!!

    Hurrah for the teeth, though yuk for the 'tooth fairy'. I love September too for all the reasons you put xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely pictures of haylage; well done on the mileage; not wild about pictures of missing teeth (too close to home!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, we know that feeling Mags - glad Talk Talk got you talking again! Have had a frustrating time on the running front - having to be careful with fragile back.

    ReplyDelete

I am sorry to have to add word verification thing again but I keep getting spammed.